December 18, 2015
Visionaries Program Coordinator
DanceSafe is a 501(c)(3) public health organization promoting health and safety within the nightlife and electronic music community. Founded in the San Francisco Bay Area in 1998, DanceSafe quickly grew into a national organization with chapters in cities across North America. DanceSafe’s national headquarters are currently located in Denver, CO.
The organization has two fundamental operating principles: harm reduction and popular education. Combining these two principles has enabled the organization to create successful, peer-based educational programs to reduce drug misuse and empower young people to make healthy, informed lifestyle choices.
DanceSafe is known for bringing adulterant screening (a.k.a., “pill testing,” “drug checking”) to the rave and nightlife community in the U.S. and distributing unbiased educational literature describing the effects and risks associated with the use of various drugs. The organization also started the only publicly accessible laboratory analysis program for ecstasy in North America, currently hosted and managed by Erowid at EcstasyData.org. DanceSafe neither condones nor condemns recreational drug use. Rather, the organization provides a non-judgmental perspective to help support people who use drugs in making informed decisions about their health and safety.
DanceSafe volunteers staff harm reduction booths at festivals, raves, nightclubs and other electronic dance music (EDM) events, where they provide information on drugs, safer sex, and other health and safety issues concerning the EDM community (like driving home safely and protecting one’s hearing).
Current programs and initiatives aim to:
- Provide safe spaces to engage in conversations about health, drug use, and personal safety;
- Provide free water and electrolytes to prevent dehydration and heatstroke;
- Provide free safe sex tools to avoid unwanted pregnancies and the spread of STI’s;
- Provide free ear plugs to prevent hearing loss;
- Provide honest, fact-based, unbiased information on drug effects and potential harms to empower users to make informed decisions;
- Offer a nonjudgmental first-point of contact to risky or challenging situations;
- Offer drug checking services to prevent drug-related emergencies and deaths; and
- Work with promoters and local stakeholders to advocate for safety first approaches.
DanceSafe Visionaries are the voice of DanceSafe. Visionaries are the official DanceSafe support and promotion team. Visionaries are health education and harm reduction enthusiasts determined to impact the perceived cultural and social norms of the electronic music community by spreading the DanceSafe message. Visionaries commit to using their voices and networks to carry out activities both online and on the ground, in their local communities and at events. They empower and recruit others in the community to adopt DanceSafe principles, be proactive, and get involved. They carry out activities through a points and rewards system, which include weekly opportunities and special opportunities.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Visionaries Program Coordinator is responsible for: overseeing all aspects of Visionaries Program, including supervision, recruitment, retainment, and training; development and tracking of weekly/ special opportunities, points, and rewards; community organizing and program expansion; public relations development through community education, involvement and support; program development, implementation, and evaluation; and other administrative tasks. Responsibilities may change as the nature of our Visionaries Program evolves.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage and engage 350+ Visionaries;
- Develop and maintain Nation Builder;
- Develop and disseminate weekly point opportunities;
- Develop and disseminate special point opportunities;
- Prepare and mail all Visionaries certificates and rewards;
- Develop harm reduction messaging and outreach materials for program;
- Engage DanceSafe chapters and volunteers in program;
- Retrieve, organize, code, and report all incoming volunteer requests;
- Respond to all incoming volunteer requests and all Visionaries communications, i.e. phone, email, social media, etc. within 24 hours;
- Engage in ongoing Visionaries program development, implementation, and evaluation;
- Prepare budgets and timelines;
- Prepare and disseminate reports, findings, and presentations;
- Program recruitment and retainment;
- Build and maintain partnerships; and
- Develop and implement fundraising initiatives for program and position
- Bachelor’s degree in health sciences, public and/or community health, health promotion, health communication, sociology, or psychology, and/or prior equivalent experience preferred;
- CHES preferred;
- Experience in program development, implementation, and evaluation;
- Experience in street team and/or volunteer coordination;
- Knowledge of and dedication to harm reduction movement;
- Knowledge of or experience working in nightlife settings preferred;
- Experience in promoting and building a brand via social media;
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, Google Docs/Hangout, Hootsuite, SPSS;
- Proficiency in Nation Builder preferred;
- Ability to multitask and work remotely and independently;
- Excellent time management skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong leadership skills;
- Must be sociable and personable; and
- Must have a valid driver’s license and passport
SCHEDULE AND TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS:
- Monday-Friday, 25- 30 hours/week
- Occasional night and weekend hours
- Position requires some domestic and international travel, most expenditures covered by DanceSafe.
$15.00- $18.00/ hour based on prior experience and qualifications
Please email cover letter and resume to Missi Wooldridge, Executive Director of DanceSafe at email@example.com by Friday, January 8, 2016. Include “Visionaries Program Coordinator” in subject line. No phone calls please.