Communications and Social Media Intern
Start Date: June 1, 2016
End Date: September 1, 2016
Location: Denver, CO (Preferred)
DanceSafe is a national 501(c)(3) public health organization promoting health and safety within the nightlife and electronic music community. DanceSafe has two fundamental operating principles: harm reduction and peer-based, popular education. Combining these two principles has enabled us to create successful, peer-based educational programs to reduce drug misuse and empower young people to make healthy, informed lifestyle choices. We are known for bringing adulterant screening (a.k.a., “pill testing,” “drug checking”) to the rave and nightlife community in the U.S., and for distributing unbiased educational literature describing the effects and risks associated with the use of various drugs. We also started the only publicly accessible laboratory analysis program for ecstasy in North America, currently hosted and managed by Erowid at EcstasyData.org. We neither condone nor condemn drug use. Rather, we provide a non-judgmental perspective to help support people who use drugs in making informed decisions about their health and safety.
DanceSafe seeks to engage a talented intern (for university credit/units only) with experience using strategic communications, including digital channels to help us build DanceSafe’s network, share health information related to the organization’s priority population, advocate for harm reduction, and educate on the harms of the drug war.
This internship position requires someone who can translate policy and research content into engaging, compelling, and shareable content for traditional and social media channels.
This internship is solely for university credits/units.
The Communications and Social Media Intern will report to the Executive Director and the Communications and Marketing Subcommittee of the Board of Directors.
- Creating materials and developing compelling content for multiple audiences;
- Translating research and policy content into engaging and comprehensible material directed at diverse audiences for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Snapchat, YouTube, Flickr and other emerging social media tools;
- Managing the DanceSafe website and other social media channels as well as monitoring partner (e.g., Erowid, MAPS, SSDP, DPA, EMA, Zendo, Amplify) channels;
- Creating and identifying traditional and online media opportunities that provide a greater audience for our work;
- Preparing press releases and media briefs;
- Researching topical information specific to each media inquiry on behalf of the Executive Director and preparing parties speaking on behalf of DanceSafe for media interviews; and
- Compiling, managing and updating an in depth nationwide media roster of journalists, bloggers, editors and media outlets
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA;
- Junior or Senior at a University;
- Skilled and versatile writer with excellent interpersonal communications;
- Strong writing and editing skills for online and social media audiences;
- Knowledge of digital and social media tools;
- Experience blogging, and using social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Snapchat, YouTube, Flickr and other emerging social media tools/platforms;
- An ability to work collaboratively in a fast-‐paced environment; and
- Website Skills:
- Experience managing websites, preferably using a WordPress Content Management System; and
- Demonstrated ability to undertake web site design and content review and provide recommendations
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish;
- Experience with the electronic dance music community, harm reduction, and the drug policy landscape; and
- Applicants from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply
Please email cover letter, two writing samples, and résumé to Missi Wooldridge, Executive Director of DanceSafe at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Communications and Social Media Intern” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Apply no later than April 15th, 2016.
**DanceSafe, Inc. does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, interns, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
**DanceSafe, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to protect against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military status, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.