DanceSafe Seeks Harm Reduction Intern
Harm Reduction Intern
Type: Part-time Internship (~10-15 hrs per week)
Supervisor: Director of Operations
Location: Remote (Denver, CO preferred)
Start Date: February 18, 2019*
End Date: August 18, 2019*
*The start and end dates of this internship may be flexible. The desired internship duration is 6 months.
DanceSafe is a 501(c)(3) public health organization promoting health and safety within the nightlife and electronic music community. Founded in the San Francisco Bay Area in 1998, DanceSafe quickly grew into a national organization with chapters in cities across North America.
DanceSafe has two fundamental operating principles: harm reduction and peer-based, popular education. Combining these two principles has enabled us to create successful, peer-based educational programs to reduce drug misuse and empower young people to make healthy, informed lifestyle choices. We are known for bringing drug checking to the rave and nightlife community in the U.S., and for distributing unbiased educational literature describing the effects and risks associated with the use of various drugs. We neither condone nor condemn drug use. Rather, we provide a non-judgmental perspective to help support people who use drugs in making informed decisions about their health and safety.
DanceSafe seeks an intern to assist the Director of Operations with communication, chapter development, and program efforts. The ideal candidate is already a member of the drug policy reform and/or harm reduction communities, carries themselves in accordance with the Principles of Harm Reduction, and has a baseline understanding of common drugs and the nightlife community.
Communications & Social Media:
- Assist with sourcing, creating, and scheduling content across communication channels including social media, blog, and website
- Monitor social media channels for mentions of DanceSafe’s brand, competitors, and any other ideas or themes that are relevant to DanceSafe’s mission
- Develop and maintain educational content repository containing evergreen content
- Ensure tone, messaging, and visual applications are consistent with brand strategy
- Maintain accurate information on DanceSafe social media accounts, updating as needed
Programs & Chapter Development:
- Aid in the development of educational materials for DanceSafe programs (e.g. webinars, presentations, blogs, etc.)
- Assist in chapter development efforts by supporting DanceSafe Recruiters and the Director of Operations in the recruitment, training, and retainment of Preliminary DanceSafe Chapter members including leadership
- Contribute to the creation of materials for the DanceSafe Chapter Toolkit
- Maintain accurate information on DanceSafe Chapters, updating as needed
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and a high motivation to learn
- Experience with key social media platforms and social media management apps including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Buffer, and Hootsuite
- Proficient in the use of Google Apps and comfortable with other web-based software (e.g. Slack, Asana, Prezi, etc.)
- Strong ability to self-motivate and work independently as well as work collaboratively in a fast-paced, off-site setting
- A proactive, service-focused attitude towards participants, key stakeholders, and internal teams
- Experience with graphic design and video editing
- Background in or experience in the public health field specifically program planning, implementation, and evaluation
- Knowledge of electronic music and nightlife communities, harm reduction, and the drug policy reform landscape