The mission of #WeLoveConsent is to help dismantle rape culture and build a consent culture within the electronic music and nightlife communities. This program seeks to mobilize the community to build a consent culture and to reduce the incidence of sexual violence in nightlife settings through consent education and bystander intervention.
A Note from DanceSafe:
We must acknowledge that rape culture permeates all social boundaries and that our community is not immune to its underpinnings. This is not to say that our community in its entirety perpetuates rape culture, but rather that regardless of where each one of us is in our understanding and practicing of consent, there’s always room for improvement.
Now, more than ever, it’s time to educate ourselves regarding the topics of rape culture and its relationship to sexual violence, what we can do to prevent it, and what we can do if it happens to us or a friend. While it’s true the only person responsible for committing sexual violence is the perpetrator, we all have the ability to look out for one another and promote an inclusive, safe environment. If we remain humble and create space for our own growth, we have the opportunity to band together to dismantle rape culture and build a consent culture within our community. We encourage everyone in our community to recognize #WeLoveConsent as an invitation to be better.
#WeLoveConsent Initiatives & Services
#WeLoveConsent initiatives and services focus on building a consent culture and reducing the incidence of sexual violence in nightlife settings through consent education and bystander intervention. Current initiatives and services are outlined below in addition to #WeLoveConsent initiatives and services you can expect in the future.
Current Initiatives & Services
- Provide safe spaces to engage in conversations about sex, consent, and rape culture;
- Disseminate educational materials regarding consent, rape culture, bystander intervention, survivor support, and consent culture via online communication channels and on the ground at events;
- Work with event producers and other key stakeholders to combat rape culture and build a consent culture; and
- Mobilize the community to embody the values of #WeLoveConsent and actively work towards creating a consent culture.
- Provide #WeLoveConsent services at events including trained #WeLoveConsent Roamers (active bystanders);
- Educate and train event producers and other key stakeholders on the topics of consent, rape culture, bystander intervention, and survivor support via in-person workshops;
- Partner with event producers and other key stakeholders to host additional #WeLoveConsent benefit shows to raise awareness and educate community members, train event producers, event staff, artists, etc. via educational workshops, and raise funds to support #WeLoveConsent; and
- Build a coalition of event producers and other key stakeholders that support #WeLoveConsent.
- Educate and train event producers and other key stakeholders on the topics of consent, rape culture, bystander intervention, and survivor support via online courses; and
- Educate and train the community on the topics of consent, rape culture, bystander intervention, and survivor support via online webinars and courses.
#WeLoveConsent Service Request
Interested in taking your efforts to combat rape culture and build a consent culture at your events to the next level? Schedule a (free) consultation by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Involved, Support #WeLoveConsent
Donate, donate, donate!
You can donate directly to #WeLoveConsent here. Donations will help fund the development and implementation of #WeLoveConsent initiatives and services.
Do you support #WeLoveConsent and have a creative idea to help raise funds for the program? Email email@example.com to start the discussion today! So far, we’ve teamed up with artists to host a sold-out #WeLoveConsent benefit show and released a #WeLoveConsent Sample Pack.
Don’t Stand By, Stand Up!
This is a movement, not a moment! Too often, these issues are swept under the rug until the next big news story regarding sexual violence breaks. Let’s be proactive, not reactive!
If we are truly going to dismantle rape culture and build a consent culture in our community, we must all use our voices to speak out against sexual violence and promote a consent culture on a regular basis. Talk to your friends and peers about consent and rape culture, share #WeLoveConsent content on your social media, support survivors, and be an active bystander.
Join the #WeLoveConsent Support Crew
We are interested in making this a program for the community by the community. Stay connected, get direct updates, and contribute ideas and constructive feedback via the #WeLoveConsent Support Crew Facebook Group.
#WeLoveConsent Educational Content
- Let’s Talk About Datsik and Rape Culture in Our Community
- “She Kissed a Boy, and He Didn’t Like It”- Women Need Permission Too, and Katy Perry is No Exception!
- Redefining the Consent Conversation: Establishing Mutual Consent Rather Than ‘Getting’ Consent (#WeLoveConsent Toolbox Series)
- Hooking Up with Integrity (#WeLoveConsent Toolbox Series)
- Introduction to Navigating Power Dynamics (#WeLoveConsent Toolbox Series)
#WeLoveConsent Educational Materials
- #WeLoveConsent Educational Brochure
- #WeLoveConsent Ask First Card
- #WeLoveConsent Sexual Harassment Card
If you are interested in distributing #WeLoveConsent educational materials, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to access printable PDF files with crop marks and bleed.
#WeLoveConsent Additional Materials